About MAI Membership
The current requirements that an appraiser must fulfill to receive the MAI designation are as follows:
- Education: Receive a passing grade on 11 examinations that reflect 380 hours of classroom instruction and that test the appraiser’s knowledge of basic and advanced appraisal principles, procedures and applications; report writing; valuation analysis and standards of professional practice.
- Receive a passing grade on a four-module, two-day comprehensive examination.
- Hold an undergraduate degree from a four-year accredited educational institution.
- Experience: Receive credit for 4,500 hours of experience, all of which must meet strict criteria.
- Demonstration Report: Receive credit for a demonstration appraisal report relating to income-producing property that demonstrates the ability to present a properly supported value estimate or opinion evaluating the nature, quality or utility of a parcel of real estate or any interest in, or aspect of, real property, including handling physical incurable depreciation, or fulfill an approved comparable alternative.