Commercial Real Estate Appraisal
In Southern California
Fewel & Associates Staff
President, Fewel & Associates
Chris Fewel has completed rigorous education requirements, including the passing of a two-day comprehensive examination, in order to obtain the MAI designation from the Appraisal Institute, which has long been recognized by courts of law, government agencies, financial institutions, and investors as the mark of excellence in the field of real estate valuation and analysis. He earned his BA in Real Estate Finance and MBA in Finance from California State University, Fullerton, where he has served on the Appraisal Advisory Board. Chris is licensed as a State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser, as well as a real estate broker. As a former broker with the Orange office of Lee & Associates, he brings a real-world perspective to the equation of valuing properties in sales and refinancing transactions, and his network of contacts within the commercial brokerage community provides invaluable information for his clients. He was a founding partner of Syn-Mar Associates in 1995, and served as a Planning Commissioner for the city of Costa Mesa from 1996-2000.
About MAI Membership
The current requirements that an appraiser must fulfill to receive the MAI designation are as follows:
- Education: Receive a passing grade on 11 examinations that reflect 380 hours of classroom instruction and that test the appraiser’s knowledge of basic and advanced appraisal principles, procedures and applications; report writing; valuation analysis and standards of professional practice.
- Receive a passing grade on a four-module, two-day comprehensive examination.
- Hold an undergraduate degree from a four-year accredited educational institution.
- Experience: Receive credit for 4,500 hours of experience, all of which must meet strict criteria.
- Demonstration Report: Receive credit for a demonstration appraisal report relating to income-producing property that demonstrates the ability to present a properly supported value estimate or opinion evaluating the nature, quality or utility of a parcel of real estate or any interest in, or aspect of, real property, including handling physical incurable depreciation, or fulfill an approved comparable alternative.
Jeff Fewel earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate Finance from California State University, Fullerton. He is licensed in California as a State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser. He has been part of the Fewel & Associates team since February 1998. During that time, he has prepared numerous appraisals for a variety of properties, including single- and multi-tenant industrial, production studios, auto-service and repair, office, and retail properties.
Ian Fewel earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Entrepreneurship and Finance from Point Loma Nazarene University. He joined the Fewel & Associates team in 2016, and earned his Certified general appraisal license in 2018. He has prepared appraisals for a variety of properties including single- and multi-tenant industrial, retail, office, and multi-family uses among others. In addition to being a licensed appraiser, Ian is licensed in California as a Real Estate Salesperson. Before joining the team at Fewel & Associates, Ian was a real estate salesperson with Lee & Associates where he specialized in the sales and leasing of industrial properties in the north Orange County and Southeast Los Angeles county markets.
Denise Baro has over 20 years of administrative and customer service experience. She provides the friendly voice answering the phone and is ready to provide excellent customer service to all of our clients. She helps in getting the quoting process started and helps to gather information needed to begin each report. She is also responsible for packaging and shipping the finished product. She is intimately aware with all aspects of Fewel & Associates and is an excellent source for quick and accurate responses to our customer needs.
Bruce Marshall earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech and an MBA from Boston University. Bruce was a Senior Acquisitions Analyst for American Realty Advisors, an institutional buyer on behalf of pension funds, where he analyzed over $2B worth of commercial properties. While there, he earned the CCIM designation. Prior to that, he consulted for a developer and performed hotel feasibility studies. Bruce left the commercial real estate field for a few years when he acquired and operated his own retail business. He returned to commercial real estate on the appraisal side of the business, joining Fewel & Associates in 2019, where he prepares appraisals for a variety of property types including industrial, retail, office, and multi-family.